Hi, My name is Morgan and this is my first ever personal blog post. There, I said it. I have been wanting to start a personal blog for a while but wasn’t sure I had enough to say. Then I started a wordpress blog while on maternity leave like a year and a half ago but never wrote a post. I think I got bogged down by all the details and adding stuff to the blog that I thought it was too complicated – but really, it’s not 🙂
As a fairly new mom (My daughter “V” is 18 months now) I find that my life is pulled in many different directions. I of course want to be the best possible mom to V, but I have a professional career that I also want to be the best at. Not to mention, I have always been a person that likes to try new trends and hobbies, and that part of myself has not gone away just because I have less time. Now that I mention it, this blog is probably indicative of that part of myself! I want to use this as a space to talk about whats interesting to me at this time (well, that sounds selfish!). Here are some previews of general topics to expect from me:
1. Toddlers – I am always looking for stuff to do with V. I love finding new play ideas and new meal ideas. Anything I can do to get her to eat more “real” food and watch less Mickey Mouse. Not that there’s anything wrong with a little Mickey Mouse, I just love seeing her play instead of sit in front of the TV. Toddlers are much harder to feed and entertain than I would have ever guessed before becoming a mom. BTW that’s her in my profile pic, in case you hadn’t guessed.
2. Veterinary Medicine/pets – I am a small animal veterinarian, and it takes up a big portion of my life and attention. I love, love, love my job and could never see myself doing anything else. I love it so much that I actually missed my patients when out of maternity leave and was ready to get back to work (I feel bad just saying that). Of course, I also missed V once I started working again. I have a professional/business blog for my more serious education articles and stories from the clinic but I can’t imagine I’ll be able to keep them totally separate.
3. Running/fitness – I am a distance runner. Right now I am into marathons, but before that I did a lot of half-marathons. So far I have only run 1 marathon (Disney World marathon!), but I am in training for 2 more this season. I started running in undergrad when a lot of my friends were endurance exercise junkies, but took an unofficial hiatus from about mid vet-school until after V was born. All of the enforced inactivity of my pregnancy/ankle fracture sparked the running bug again, and I haven’t looked back. Running is my time. I get to think about my day and make plans, I get to let out my stress, I get endorphins. I also like trying out various new diet trends, because I want to see what they feel like to do, although I know most of them probably aren’t that healthy or aren’t going to be something I can keep up. Although I do run to lose weight as well, I am generally pretty happy with my looks and like that I can mostly eat what I want so long as I run.
4. Food – Just like toddler food ideas, I am always looking for, and trying out family meal ideas. I am really not that great of a cook, even when following recipes, so be prepared for some failed dinners. Usually my poor husband, Mark, eats it anyways, although I can usually tell he’s not crazy about it if he only eats one helping. Still I sometimes come across great and easy to use recipes, so I will share them if I do. I also sometimes go on a food dehydrating/jerky making kick.
5. Fashion – Ok. I am just not that fashionable. I try to look cute, professional, put together, but if an outfit has more than 2 pieces chances are I wont know how to wear it. I try to stick with a few basic pieces and combine them in predictable ways. However, I did just recently sign up for Stitch Fix and I am super excited about it. Basically a personal shopper picks out clothes for you based on a style profile you fill out and your pinterest pins and sends you 5 items in the mail – like surprise Christmas! It does cost $20 for them to send it to you but that $20 can go towards any clothes you decide to buy. If you don’t like the clothes, they give you a pre-paid envelope to send back. And, if you refer a friend you can get referral credit, so let me know if you’re interested 🙂 I haven’t gotten any clothes yet because my first shipment is not until October, but I am excited about this adventure. And I really like reading Stitch Fix blogs, so I wanted to do my own as well. I know this sounds like an advertisement, but I really am just that excited lol.
Well, I think that’s all for today, but expect to hear from me again soon! Let me know what you think!